Are you facing issues while opening Microsoft Excel in Mac and looking for an instant solution? Read this article to get help.
Note-For downloading the MS-Office product or versions, you need to visit www.office.com/setup link.
You must be getting an error message like-
- ‘The program closes unexpectedly’.
- ‘The application MS-Excel quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other app aren’t affected. Click ‘relaunch’ to launch the app again. Click ‘Report’ to see more details or send a report to Apple’.
To solve this issue, you need to perform any one of the following, depending on the version of Office you’re using for Mac.
Follow the steps as shown below to get help-
- Quit all programs and close all the tabs
- Open the Apple dock.
- Select the Apple menu and click on the ‘Force Quit’.
- Click an application in the ‘Force quit application’ window.
Note– You can’t quit ‘Finder’.
- Select the ‘Force quit’ option.
- Repeat the steps for all the applications that are causing issues until you exit all the active applications.
- Remove MS-Excel preferences and office settings
- Make sure all Microsoft Office for Mac programs is closed.
- Open the root/hidden Library folder on the ‘Go’ menu.
Note- The Library folder is hidden in Mac OSX Yosemite. To display this particular folder, hold down the ‘option’ key after you click on the ‘Go’ menu.
- Open the ‘Group Containers’ folder.
- Search for a folder whose name ends ‘.Office,’ and open it.
- In the folder look for the ‘Com.microsoft.officeprefs.plist’ file.
- Delete this file by dragging it to the trash.
- Restart the application and check whether the issue is resolved.
If the issue isn’t resolved then delete the whole folder that you have found. This will delete all the previous settings and preferences.
Note- This step will reset Office back to the first-run phase of the initial set up. It will also re-create a folder in the – /Library/ Group Containers location.
- Restart your system.
- Remove and reinstall Office