Surface Go is an incredible device for completing day-to-day tasks. It performs like a laptop and has the mobility of a tablet. Its powerful touch screen coupled with the Window 10 OS, makes it extremely popular amongst people, especially business travelers. If you are facing issues with your Surface device, then you should conduct a factory reset. If you are unable to restore the machine to factory settings using the existing recovery partition, then just use a USB recovery device.
Let’s go through the process of creating a USB recovery device to restore Surface Go to factory settings.
Steps for creating a Surface recovery USB drive
- Firstly, users are required to create a USB-C recovery drive.
- Head to the Microsoft store.
- Choose the Surface device and key in the serial number.
- Now, you will be able to get information regarding where to locate it.
- Simply download the Surface recovery image. The file will be around 7 GB in size.
- When the download is over, extract all the files to a separate folder.
- Save the folder in an easy to locate the location.
- Now, you must get a USB device.
- It is highly recommended to use one with 16 GB capacity, but an eight GB one is also sufficient for Surface Go.
- Just insert the USB-C device in the USB port of the PC.
- Launch the Start Menu.
- Key in the following text: Create a recovery drive.
- In the Recovery Drive screen, make sure that the square next to Back up system files to the recovery drive is not checkmarked.
- Now, just click on the Next button located at the bottom.
- You will be asked to choose the USB flash drive.
- From the list of available drives, choose the USB-C drive.
- Click on the Next button for creating the USB recovery device.
- Now a couple of essential files will get copies.
- After that, open the extracted Recovery Image folder.
- Transfer all the extracted data to the USB-C recovery drive.
- When the prompt appears, click on Replace the files in the destination.
Steps for booting from a Surface Go recovery USB drive
- Plug in the USB-C recovery drive into the Surface Go.
- Press and hold the increase volume button.
- After that long press and release the power button to power on the Surface Go device.
- Allow the Surface UEFI menu to launch.
- Choose the option called Boot configuration.
- Now, choose the upward pointing arrow to shift USB to the peak of the priority listing.
- Now, choose the Exit option.
- Select Restart.
- The Surface Go will now boot from the USB-C drive.
- Pick the language and keyboard layout according to your preference.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Now, choose the first option called Recover from a drive.
- When prompted to enter the recovery key, choose Skip this drive.
- In the following page, choose Just remove the files.
- Now, go to Recover.
- Wait for a couple of minutes for the restoration of Surface go to factory settings to get over.
- Now, just set up the device again.
Ela Thomas is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Ela Thomas has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as www.office.com/setup